“The inspirational aroma of spices that drifted in from my mother’s kitchen
excited my senses and intrigued me to an extent to foray into the culinary world and train to be chef.”
Veteran Chef Dr. Manjit Singh Gill
Are you a foodie who simply loves Indian cuisine but is confused by the huge variety of spices used while cooking? This latest Indian recipe book, ‘Masala Dabba’ by Chef Michel Swamy published by Om Books International gives you the answer. As the name suggests this book is an ode to the Indian masalas or spices. The spice box or the masala dabba has a significant role to play in Indian cuisine. In this book, the author, chef Michael Swamy, digs in the variety of Indian Spices, their importance, and recipes to make different spice blends that are used in various gourmet recipes.
What Didn’t Work:
- The whole book has a lot of high-quality photographs which keep reading through the content engaging. Since recipes of varied masalas like garam masala, meat masala, paanch phoran have been given in the book, including photographs of the ready masala blend against each recipe could have worked better as a ready reference.
What Worked in this latest Indian recipe book:
- The book is a comprehensive guide for the various masalas or spices. So it has tips right from buying and storing spices to their diverse blend preparations and use in any Indian dish.
- Masala Dabba book by Michael Swamy has a lot of recipes of the key masala blends like meat masala, garam masala and more explained.
- A bit of contextual trivia about each of the recipes given at the beginning is interesting to read.
- The language used in this latest Indian recipe book is simple.
- The vegetarian and non-vegetarian fod recipes given in the book are different from the cliched ones.
- It is quite easy to prepare your own blend of masalas using the recipe given in this book.
- Glossary towards the end of the book is quite helpful.
About ‘Masala Dabba’ Author:
Chef Michael Swamy is a graduate of the prestigious Cordon Bleu Culinary School, London. He did his specialization in bakery and patisserie post which he trained under several Chefs in the UK. Michael Swamy played a pivotal role in the menu creation of several top restaurants like The Bowl House , Kuwait Airways, Peppermill Bistro (Bangalore), Food Arena in Pune and more. Apart from this, he has worked at The Bombay Brasserie in London, a Taj Property. But he is especially known for his contribution to Virat Kohli’s restaurant ‘NUEVA’. It is India’s first Latin American Restaurant where the chef has created a menu called“Gardens Land & Sea”.
In addition to this, he has authored books like ‘The East Indian Kitchen’ which won the Gourmand Award 2011-12 in the Best Indian Cookbook (Technical) category, ‘Easy Guide to Pairing Indian Food and Wine’ & ‘Comfort Food’ published by Om Books & co-authored with Mugdha Savkar. ‘Masala Dabba’ is the latest Indian recipe book written by him.
Amazon: Rs. 697
‘Masala Dabba’ by Michael Swamy is an all-encompassing take on the Indian spices. The recipes are fresh yet the traditional spices bridge and bring them close to Indian household kitchen. Chef’s travel escapades and learning from the local kitchen make the masala blend recipes authentic. The recipes given in this book have been tried, tested & perfected and so very easy to follow.
Read more book reviews here