Credit the high pay checks or the increasing boredom of fast-paced city life but the fact of the matter is Travel is steadily becoming an inseparable part of our lives. It is is liberating & rejuvenating. In fact, it is also becoming a financial consideration in annual family budgets. However, when it comes to responsible tourism and being a responsible traveller, WE Still Fall Short!
Of lately, there have been many instance that went viral of tourists involved with unethical & unruly practices like theft and more. There have been instances of tourist facing backlash from natives due to behavioral issue and more. Though these topics remain debatable but what one can surely work upon is on their travel etiquette. So here are some travel tips for travelling responsibly:
At the Airport/Bus Terminal/Railway Station/Tram Station/Metro Station/Ship:
-> Be on Time: We know some of us love to make those last minute entries with name being announced several times but it is an unnecessary nuisance and may adversely affect the schedule of the particular carrier.
-> Be in a Que and if it is utterly necessary then ask those in front and authorities.
-> Until and unless there’s a logical reason, try and Travel Light. In most airlines after a certain limit passengers need to pay extra bucks.
-> Especially while travelling internationally check what and what not is allowed in luggage and hand carry bag to avoid an unnecessary trouble.
-> Be patient with Immigration & Security checks. Also listen carefully what is being told while this process. Example: Different airports have different requirement for removing like belts, boots, jackets etc.
-> Don’t eat while standing in the line cause food droppings contributes to littering the place.
-> Check the weight & size of the bag beforehand and whether it is in compliance with the particular airline you are travelling with.
-> Keep the necessary documents handy while checking-in else you will end up yours and others valuable time.
-> Make use of headphones so as to avoid disturbing others.
-> Do not keep your feet on the armrest of the seat in front.
-> Wear a fresh pair of socks for travel, wear a decent deodorant if you tend to sweat a lot, and please avoid farting, and burping loudly.
-> Food & Drink: Do not waste food. Keep a restraint on the alcohol consumption while travelling in a plane, train etc.
-> Keep your excitement of trip & volumes down while talking during the journey.
-> Responsible Travel with Kids: While airline do provide some toys and activity books to keep kids engaged but it is advisable that parents carry few toys and baby food handy to avoid cranky kids & babies.
-> Be human & treat air-hostesses & fellow travellers with respect & courtesy.
-> Limited & proper use of washrooms is advisable.
-> Safety: Till the time seat belts sign is not switched off, remain seated. Stand behind the safety line as the train approaches platform. Do not push others for getting in or out from the metro, train, trams, etc.
Responsible Stay at Hotel/Resort/Hostel/Home Stay = Responsible Tourism
First things first hotels are temporary abodes and so booking a room does not make one an owner. So behaving and acting as a responsible traveller is a perquisite of responsible travel.
- Proper Use of Hotel Room and the amenities present inside should be done by guests. Damages for broken Glasses, Hair Dryers and more are usually billed by hotels. Switching off lights , air conditioners, heaters and using water in moderation etc. are an essential part of responsible tourism from traveller’s side. Stealing of equipment fitted inside the room, cutlery, towels etc. are a big No-No.
- While walking in corridors volume should be kept down & kids too should be controlled from running around and disturbing privacy and happy times of others.
- If you have an early or late check-in, hotel pick up then inform the hotel and request for arrangements accordingly. Don’t expect things to happen on the spot.
- During the breakfast or in a buffet service do not fill up your bags with eatables. In case of and early check-out or going for a trek or so request the hotel prior to pack some food as per your requirement.
- Generally, hotels forbid guests from doing laundry inside the room and so should be followed. Also following the rules stated by hotel for beach, balcony, swimming pool & terrace areas makes you a responsible & sensible traveller.
- If you are taking a road trip then check with hotel for parking & driver’s room facility if need be.
- Your belongings are your responsibility.
Some Additional Tips for Being a Responsible Traveller:
- Do not Litter & don’t damage historical & natural sites. There’s a popular joke among frequent travellers that ‘A beautiful place remains beautiful until humans reach the place’. Littering, Spitting, Graffiti making, Damaging a place of interest isn’t cool at all and certainly not a sign of responsible tourism.
- Avoid being a brat, tough to handle, noisy especially when in big travel groups.
- Do not indulge in excessive drinking, drugs or any contraband substance.
- Respect local people and before clicking photographs with them ask permission. Same is with women travellers, be respectful with them and avoid staring or passing lewd remarks.
- Don’t blindly believe on strangers especially while solo travelling.
- Follow the rules & dress code of the land especially while visiting religious places, wildlife sanctuaries, or indulging in adventure sports like trekking etc.
This exhaustive travel etiquette guide is for helping travel lovers, travels better. It is also a tiny contribution towards responsible tourism. If this guide was helpful or you want to add any other point or share your experience then do write in the comment box.
Happy & Responsible Travelling!
We are taking our website to the next level with Blogchatter’s #MyFriendAlexa.