Across the globe there are about 422 million people who have diabetes. In India alone there are more than 77 Mn. people who are living with diabetes. Among the two major forms of diabetes, Type 2 diabetes is more common than Type 1. The sad but a drastic reality-check of this disease, or for that matter any other health condition lies in the fact is that it can happen to anyone. How one manages it, is what matters the most. Curing this disease permanently is not possible, but for sure one can get freedom from diabetes by living life to the fullest.
If you don’t believe us then read about some of the well-known celebrities who have diabetes and yet they have performed extraordinarily in their respective fields.
List of Contents
#1. Tom Hanks:
In 2013, the ‘Cast Away’ star himself had revealed about him being diagnosed with Type-2 diabetes in a famous talk show. But did it bother the actor so as to bog him down? Certainly not, post this declaration the actor went on to make some great films like Saving Mr. Banks (2013), Sully (2016), and A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (2019). He has also given voice to the character of Sheriff Woody in the Toy Story film series (1995–2019).
#2. Sonam Kapoor:
This Bollywood actress was diagnosed with Insulin Resistance which is often found with Type-1 diabetes when she was just of 17 years. However, this health condition couldn’t limit Sonam to pursue acting and bagging National Award for her film Neerja.
Check your Diabetes Risk Score here for free.
#3. Nick Jonas:
The lead singer from the famous band Jonas Brothers and superstar Priyanka Chopra’s husband, Nick Jonas too has Type-1 diabetes. In November 2019, he described about his freedom from diabetes on a social networking website as: “This experience has shaped how I approach my health – working out, eating well, and always thinking about my blood sugar and insulin needs.”
#4. Arvind Kejriwal:
The reigning Chief Minister of Delhi and the political leader of Aam Aadmi Party in India, too has, severe level of Type-2 diabetes. Yet he is one of the most active Chief Ministers ever seen in India, on toes every time to face challenging times with sincerity and determination.
#5. Cricketers like Anil Kumble & Wasim Akram
Anil Kumble, an ace Indian baller, commenter and coach has Type-1 diabetes. But he draws his set of inspiration from famous ex-Pakistani fast baller, Wasim Akram. Both the players believe freedom from diabetes is possible with mental discipline, regular exercise and clean eating.
Important Pointers for living the life of your dreams along with Diabetes:
- Begin with clean eating and taking medicines regularly.
- Start with light exercises and stay active. You can practice Yoga, Zumba, Pilates, Swimming, and Lunges apart from walking after consultation with doctor.
- Monitor blood-sugar level and weight regularly.
- Take extra care of your feet. Wear closed shoes, check every week for determining any cut or injury. In case of new shoes, introduce them gradually.
- Consult your doctor before travelling and stock up on your medicines. Healthy snacking is highly recommended.
- Chalk out Your Diet Plan: People with Diabetes are often recommended by doctors to eat more of those food items that are low on Glycemic Index while one should avoid food that has a high index. Learn how to create your own Diabetic-friendly diet plan here.
- During Pregnancy: Take special care if you have diabetes and are pregnant as high blood-sugar level may affect the wellbeing of your growing baby and also poses greater risk of you contracting Gestational Diabetes.
- Don’t Fret in Festival Time: During Festivals following dietary restrictions is important. One can relish sweets made with low fat milk. Avoid excessive fat-rich food items. Fasting during festivals is common in India. Fasting should be avoided as it can lower down your sugar level posing a greater threat to life.
Hope this article helps in motivating people who are living with diabetes. Also do let me know if any of these tips helped you to gain freedom from diabetes and live your life to the fullest.
Diet, exercise, regular monitoring and adherence to medication are important factors in diabetes management. Empower yourself to live better with diabetes and take the pledge today to be #MoreThanMyDiabetes.
The views expressed in the blog content are independent and unbiased views of solely the blogger. This is a part of the public awareness initiative supported by Sanofi India. Sanofi India bears no responsibility for the content of the blog. One should consult their healthcare provider for any health-related information.
- Photo Sources: Sonam Kapoor – jagran.com & National Herald, Wasim Akram – Celebritynews, Anil Kumble – By lensbug.chandru -commons.wikimedia.org, Tom Hanks – Consequenceofsound, Arvind Kejriwal – gyaanghantaa.com, Nick Jonas – www.popsugar, www.cosmopolitan.com