A Nomad's Diary - travel tales

4 Breathtaking & Serene Hill stations near Dalhousie that you can plan with it!

hill stations that can be clubbed with Dalhousie

Dalhousie is a serene hill station in Himachal Pradesh. It comprises 5 hills namely Kathalagh, Potreyn, Motitibba, Bhangora & Bakrota. As most know, this hill station was established by the Britishers especially Lord Dalhousie after whose name this hill station got its name. Before having been taken up by Britishers, it was a part of the princely state of Chamba. At present also Dalhousie falls under the Chamba district. In this article, we list down 4 breathtaking hill stations that can be clubbed with Dalhousie for relaxing holidays.

#1. Dharamshala/Dharamsala

Dharashala Cricket Ground
Dharashala Cricket Ground

The distance from Dalhousie to Dharamshala is about 118 km. which can be roughly covered in 3 hrs. 35 minutes. Unlike other popular tourist places in Himachal Pradesh, Dharamshala is quiet and laid back. The simplicity of this place is surprising for many but appealing. We loved the casual strolls to the tea gardens and visiting Dharamsala Cricket stadium which is one of the prettiest ones in the world.

A relaxing walk in Dharamsala Tea Garden
A relaxing walk in Dharamsala Tea Garden

#2. McLeodganj

This hill town is the home of His Holiness Dalai Lama. McLeod Ganj or McLeodganj as it is written mostly though is very near to Dharamshala but it does is out of the actual city limits. The place mostly sees a number of foreign tourists for a number of reasons like learning Yoga, Buddhists mediations and more. McLeodganj as compared to its neighbour (Dharamasala) is much more happening. St. John’s Church here is a must-visit place too. People here also come for trekking, the popular one being the Triund Trek Often, it is asked, “Which is better McLeodganj or Dalhousie?” We would say both are equally good but one can enjoy this hill station is clubbed with Dalhousie.

#3. Bir & Palampur

Mini-Paragliding for kids at Khajjiar
Mini-Paragliding for kids at Khajjiar

Both these places are hill stations near Dalhousie that are worth exploring. Bir Billing is surely a paradise for adventure seekers. It offers camping, trekking, hiking, mountain biking and of course paragliding. The scenic views from this place both in snowy and non-snowy months are worth seeing. Parashar lake trek is the most famous one starting from here. Palampur is 145 km from Dalhousie while from Dharamsala it can be reached in 1 hour only. Baijnath Temple is one popular place to visit apart from enjoying the serenity of the tea gardens. From Palampur, Bir is at 30 kilometres distance only.

#4. Chamba & Khajjiar

Chamunda Devi Temple, Chamba - Hill stations near Dalhousie
Chamunda Devi Temple, Chamba – Hill stations near Dalhousie

Chamba and Khajjiar are the closest hill stations near Dalhousie. Often these are also listed under must-visit places in Dalhousie. However, Chamba is almost at road drive of 2 hr. from the former. While Khajjiar is at an hours distance. In Chamba, Chaugan is the central spot and around it is the market. Here, Chamera dam, Manimahesh Lake & Chamunda Devi Temple are worth visiting. Khajjiar, also called as Mini-Switzerland offers mesmerizing panoramic views along with activities like paragliding, zorbing, horse riding and more.

Khajjiar near Dalhousie that can be easily clubbed
Khajjiar near Dalhousie

How to go about planning the itinerary for Hill Stations near Dalhousie:

Hill stations that one can plan with Dalhousie
Hill stations that one can plan with Dalhousie

When planning a trip to Dalhousie and the above-mentioned hill stations that can be clubbed with Dalhousie one can reach Dharamsala first from Delhi explore this place along with McLeodganj. Then indulge in adventure activities available at Palampur and Bir Billing and then head to Dalhousie. While staying in Dalhousie itself Chamba and Khajjiar can be explored as day trips.

Was this article helpful to you for planning your next trip to Dalhousie and Himachal Pradesh then do write to us!

This article is powered by Blogchatter. Do check our other #BlogchatterA2Z posts!

(34) Comments

1. This entire post and the picture make me feel like I am a different world. So much it greenery and the refreshing feeling. Awesome.

2. Dr. Surbhi Prapanna says:

Wow all these places are looking so amazing and I would love to get a chance to visit them with my family in near future. thank you so much for sharing all details. indeed, it was a helpful and informative article.

3. Wow merely watching the images of these hill stations in and around Dalhousie itself gives an immense pleasure and peace of mind. Can’t wait to be there sometimes in future. The serene beauty is surreal.

4. have not been to any of these places, so thanks a lot for sharing this informative post. Infact few of my last trips were to beaches, it’s high time that we should visit some hill station. Thanks for the recommendation

5. This is such a helpful list, we will be planning a trip soon and I am gonna pay a visit to Bir & Palampur
    Mini-Paragliding for kids at Khajjiar this time

1. Sweta says:

These hill stations seems to be enchanting. On my wish list now

6. Those are lovely pictures, and all the places you mentioned are on my must visit list! Hope to travel to them soon!

7. Parul says:

I have never been to Dalhousie. But your picture and post makes me add it to my wish list. I hope the pandemic gets over soon for us to travel freely.

8. Wow, seriously the places are breathtaking. As per your views shall stick to Khajjar and then explore places nearby. You have a plan for holiday that we wish to have in near future. Saving this post.

9. Wow Judy yet another wonderful travel post. I have never been to Dalhousie but have been closer to that place. It indeed is a great plan to make a trip in surrounding hill stations near to Dalhousie.

10. I have been to Dalhousie & Khajjar, the other places were on the list but couldn’t due to lack of time. But now that I have read about these here, they are definitely on my list.

11. Milan says:

the pics and the written words brings back the memories of our trip to all these places 3 years back. nice one.

12. Dalhousie is a mesmerizing place to visit. The galore of luscious meadows with a mesmerizing blend of fir and pine trees would enlighten body and mind .

13. These are some really enchanting hillstations. Each one of them is beautiful. My favourites are Khajjar and Bir Billing. Hope to visit these places in the near future.

14. I’ve been to Dalhousie and Khajjiar and they’re truly beautiful blessings of nature. Would love to visit the other places too next time. Lovely pictures!

15. Indeed the hill station near Dalhousie looks like spectacular place to visit with Beautiful scenery view.

16. jhilmildsaha says:

Oh I have not been to the Western Himalayas. I have to explore these places and Dalhousie too. The pictures are so beautiful.

17. Before the pandemic, my last trip was to Dalhousie only. We went there with our close friends and had memorable memories for life. Wish if I can visit this place again. It’s very beautiful

18. Roma says:

Thank you so much for the recommendations buddy, all of us are itching to travel and these sure are worth pondering while picking a holiday destination

19. Oh, the place is so serene and calming. I have been there once quite a few years ago and was mesmerized by its beauty.

20. This is one place that we have plans to visit with our family but couldn’t manage. But thanks for sharing the list I will keep these places in mind when we travel again.

21. I have been all the places and I loved Bir most. It is so pristine and clean that I could stay there forever. Great Post

22. These are some of the most beautiful hill stations of Himachal. Our favourites are Khajjar and McLeodganj. However they are getting a bit overcrowded these days. Sandy N Vyjay

23. Bedabrata Chakraborty says:

Loved reading this post. More so because I have visited all these hill stations. Love Dharamshala.

24. Dalhousie is a mesmerizing place to visit. The galore of luscious meadows with a mesmerizing blend of fir and pine trees would enlighten body and mind .

25. This is such a helpful recommendation , I cant wait to travel already and make some nice memories

26. Gurjeet Chhabra says:

I haven’t seen any of these places but heard a lot about it. My brother has gone to Mcleodjganj and we have seen pictures and it is very beautiful

27. Entire Himanchal holds such supreme beauty. Loved the pictures you have shared and they look so serene. I have been to Himanchal but have never explored in and around Dharamshala. Would love to do so in next visit.

28. I really want to visit these amazing places. I am telling my husband since long, but due to pandemic need to wait.

29. All these four places are on my list, especially Dharamshala and Bir. I have never been to Dalhousie but I have it on my list and hopefully I will get there someday.

30. I’m going to plan my next itinerary just the way you want. I have been to most of the places you’ve recommended but not to Dalhousie. I’ll keep your suggestions in mind.

31. These places are so serene and extremely breath taking. What would I not do to just get away from the city and all the Covid situation just to be there with my family. My kids would be so happy in the lap of nature.

32. It’s been 5 years that we went to Dalhousie. It’s one of our favourites. And yes we covered all these hill stations on that trip .

33. Just recently me n my husband were talking about visiting Delhousie and places near by for a vacation wkth kids. Hopefully soon we will get an opportunity to go there.