“Main jahaan rahoon, main kahin bhi hoon,
teri yaad saaath hai..
kisi se kahoon ke nahi kahoon,
ye jo dil ki baat hai.. “– Namaste London
I am pretty much in India and love being here. But I have had a couple of friends who did move out due to job opportunities or post-marriage, or for higher studies. And I always wondered about the thoughts in the mind of these new immigrants who relocated to some other country leaving their people and country behind. Would it be filled with nostalgia of their native country or the eagerness to embrace the new beginnings or maybe both? This was one of the prime reasons behind reading ‘Just US Things’ by Sushmita Malakar, out of so many interesting books published as a part of the coveted BlogChatter’s E-Book Carnival 2020.
The book is written by a well-known Indian lifestyle & travel blogger, Sushmita Malakar. It is aimed to take the reader through various aspects of this magnanimous geographical & cultural transformation of relocating from India to the United States of America. There are precisely 26 short chapters that are title sequenced to follow the A to Z pattern.
Book Title – Just US Things
Authors – Sushmita Malakar
Genre – Non- Fiction
Publisher – BlogChatter
Published in – (May 2020)
Pages – 58
Available Formats – e-Book Edition
Price – Available for Free Download
Download Link: Blogchatter
As it is a rather small book, I finished the book in one straight go.
List of Contents
About the Book – ‘Just US Things’ by Sushmita Malakar:
‘Just US Things’ by Sushmita Malakar is for those who are planning or are in the process of settling in America. It is, of course, also for the already settled NRIs. It is a potpourri of important aspects that a new immigrant has to deal with after arriving in the U.S. Apart from the cultural shock which is imminent, there are many other practical day-to-day basis topics that have been taken up in his book.
What Worked for Me:
- Each chapter in this book addresses a topic that is quite relevant to anyone who has the U.S. dream.
- I quite like the writing style of the author in this book. It is a combination of pertinent facts from authentic sources, author’s personal experiences after living for about a year and some humourous views of how to deal with the everyday situations.
- The book finds the right balance as the author does not indulge in overtly drawing a comparison between living in India & the US.
- Topics addressed in the book present a straightforward picture of life in America like work v/s salary, racism, guns, food & more.
- The writing pattern is simple & relatable for the NRI Indians or the U.S. returned. Never for a moment, the book seems to be a lot of ‘Gyaan‘ that is difficult to process. In fact, one trivia pointer is given at the end of each chapter to keep the reader hooked.
- The editing is good barring a few instances.
- I love the cover page. It is minimalistic yet elegant.
- My Favourite Chapter in the Book: The one in which the author describes a few beautiful destinations worth visiting in the U.S. I couldn’t restraint myself from googling pictures of San Francisco salt lakes which are actually mesmerizing in the aerial view.
What Didn’t Work for Me:
Purely my opinion, in the book title, instead of writing ‘US’, it could have been written as ‘U.S.’ or U.S.A. Nothing wrong with the usage though. However, it did bother me because I twice or thrice read it as ‘Us’ (You & me together, kind of us.)
Without a doubt, this book is a good read. The notes mentioned in the book are worth remembering if you ever plan to settle in the U.S. All the topics are neat and simply put down in black and white with honesty. A fairly good attempt by the author in her debut book.
I give it a rating of 4.5/5 as it succeeds in clearing many initial settling-in doubts of a newbie in the U.S. It also presents a first-hand account of the systems and life in the U.S.
Before you leave..
Have you downloaded and read an awesome book named, ‘Designing a Positive Micro-Universe’ yet? I would highly suggest that you give it a read. Firstly because I have authored it. 🙂 Secondly, it will surely help in adding some more positive perspectives to your life. It is available for FREE download here
You might also like to read book review of another good free to download e-book Change Your Thoughts & Actions by Dr Surendra Sagar. Click Here.