A famous British journalist once said –
“There is a fine line between Stalking and Serendipity.”
Very true! ‘Stalking’ is intense, insane, & potentially harmful.
But this book written by Sri Lankan author Chhimi Tenduf-la isn’t a bit dangerous. Rather, it is a bunch of 15 stories which are different in their spirits but connected by characters. As a matter of fact, this is the author’s third book. (Read the review of previous books namely The Amazing Racist & Panther here.)
Book Title – Loyal Stalkers
Authors – Chhimi Tenduf-La
Genre – Fiction
Publisher – Pan Macmillan
Published in – May 2017
Pages – 240
Available Formats – Paperback & Kindle Edition
Price – Rs. 370 for Paperback Edition
Available Online at – Amazon.com & Flipkart.com
This book works perfectly to seize the reader. So it tends to be classified as a weekender book which means maximum two days will be required to finish reading this book.
The Plot – Loyal Stalkers:
As mentioned earlier that the book is a compilation of 15 different stories which are intertwined by 5-6 characters primarily. However, all the stories have a common central idea- the protagonist of the story being a Loyal Stalker.
What Didn’t Work:
- Few names in the book are quite peculiar. Though they create a certain pun & fun in the character description but the names are difficult to remember.
- One story resembled the story of ‘Panther’.
- With each story, the author delves into a new meaning of the word Loyal Stalkers. Many times we feel in a certain way that seems to be just fine but in the true sense, it is a kind of stalking.
- The stories are fresh and the narration style detail.
- The book cover is pleasing and editing job has been done flawlessly.
- The author has once again put his humor quotient to brilliant use.
- Stories are more relatable. As the characters have been taken from different walks of life and status quo.
About the Author:
Having the exposure to vivid cultures and lifestyles of Hong Kong, London, Delhi and Colombo, the man behind this book is ‘Chhimi Tenduf-La’. He is half English, half Tibetan by birth and now settled in Sri Lanka. His previous books were internationally read and liked. This is his third book.
My rating for this book would be 4.5/5.
Loyal Stalkers is a fresh take on life and what goes on in the mind of a common man. ‘Stalking’ is mostly associated with either stalking girls or the web but this book adds many more dimensions to this word. Keen observation of people, their behavior & incidences happening in society might have been the inspiration. It is one of the best works by Chhimi. Surely, ‘Local Stalkers’ is a must read – it is a glimpse of dark reality which highlights pain, sadness, love, obsession and more. It is not a happily ever after depiction but the hard hitting portrayal of human mind & society at large.